Rom. 12:8 - If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
Scripture has some very specific directions on how to address conflict. So much so in times past, I turned the truths and principles into a formula. A + B = C based on some of these passages:
- Matt. 5:23 - "Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you"
Another good verse when starting is:
- Matt. 18: 15- 17 "If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses."
Then additional wisdom in the book of James:
- James 1:19 - This you know, my beloved brethren But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God.
Then a verse familiar to all:
- Eph. 4:26 - Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger
These passages lay a good foundation for Biblical conflict resolution but are only a starting point. Attempting to perform them I quickly would "burn out" or quit. Over the years I have learned resolving conflict is not a formula or easily mapped path. Rather, it is deeply relational, personal and traversed in the power of the Holy Spirit.
If any formula it is (A + B) Holy Spirit = God Glorified Resolution. This requires much time spent in the Lord's presence; His word, prayer, oneness and utter dependency on empowerment by the Spirit.
Ensuring Christ is at the center and directing the outcome of issues guarantees God's Kingdom will is done on earth and in heaven. Disputes, now take a back seat to actions directed and done by the Power of His love.
- Prov. 15:1 - A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.
- Col. 3:13 - bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.
- Prov. 16:7 When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.
Not only have the parties' at odds melted under the love and grace of God. Others around not knowing the Lord witness, sense, and disappear into He Who is Love.
I John 4:7, 8 - Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
Kari Jobe - Be Still My Soul
Attributions: All scripture New International Version®, NIV® Copyright Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.