Psa. 77:1, 2 - My voice rises to God, and I will cry aloud; My voice rises to God, and He will hear me. In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord; In the night my hand was stretched out without weariness; My soul refused to be comforted. (NASB)
In times of great trial and suffering, simple choices confront. Focus on the mountain of trouble or choose God's direction. Five simple but difficult actions to take through His Spirit:
- Recall the wonders of His work. (Psa. 77:11, 12)
- Stand on the promise of God's written and living Word Christ Jesus (Psa. 119:5)
- Never forget He is always with us. Even in the roaring furnace. (Duet. 31:6, Isa. 41:10)
- The Lord guarantees He will comfort all coming to Him who grieve. (Matt. 5:4)
- Ask His Spirit to strengthen to consider current suffering nothing - compared to Christ revealed in us. (Rom 8:18)
To avoid sounding glib, nonchalant, or cavalier; I suggest for myself and any interested these things. Write a daily scriptural offering to God. Secondly, thank God for being in control as Lord of Host's regardless of condition. He sits on heaven's eternal throne. Next, repeat throughout the day life passages or favorite verses. Ones the Holy Spirit placed specifically on your heart.
Finally, pray and cry out but this is not a stopping point. Guard against prayers of mind and soul being twisted by the enemy; becoming a trap to dwell on trouble rather than King. Ask the Spirit to make prayers be of the Father's will and Kingdom. Pray groaning in the Spirit (Rom. 8:26), Jesus did too.
John 11:33 - Therefore, when Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her weeping, He groaned in the spirit and was troubled. (NKJV)
Write and commit to memory verses precisely from the Lord for you. Mediate on them throughout the day while recalling each day acceptable sacrifices to God. It is delighting and pleasing to Him! Offer our:
- Life and body (Rom 12:1,2)
- Praise and thanksgiving (I Thess. 5:18, Heb. 13:15)
- Gifts and love (Heb. 13:16)
May His presence reign in our hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Psa. 34:18, 19 - The Lord is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the Lord delivers him out of them all. (NASB)
Voice of Truth - Casting Crowns
New American Standard Bible (NASB) Copyright © The Lockman Foundation
New King James Version (NKJV) Copyright © Thomas Nelson