Awhile back we got a phone call from our local water company saying it looked as if our water usage had unexpectedly gone up and if we knew the cause of it or if it was an issue on their end. So I went outside and took a walk around the house and sure enough, there was a water hose attachment on the outside of the house that had a very small water leak. As in, a drip-drip-drip, and not a gushing amount.
My first thought was how crazy it was that the water company was able to detect a tiny little drip-drip-drip in our water usage to even be, or get, flagged within their software in such a way to warrant getting a phone call about it. I mean, the amount of water it was dripping would probably not fill up a bathtub in an entire month. Granted, I do not take baths so it is not as if that much water would warrant a flag being raised or anything. I actually use very little water over the cause of the month, so I guess, in the end, any amount of unusual activity change is an oddity. But, still, humho, guess it just goes to show that even water companies track such things. But, I digress.
So I took a drive down to my local hardware store and bought a new water spicket. I decided to not go with the old "j-style" ones with the t-handles, and instead buy one with a nice round handle on it, they are just easier to turn.
When I got back home I turned off the water main coming into the property, went over to the faucet closest to the water main, and turned it on to drain out all of the water in the system. After a few minutes I went back to the broken, well, rather not broken, but leaking, water faucet and unscrewed it and than attached the new faucet back on. Went back out to the water main and turned it back on, and than went back to the new water faucet, turned it on, just to make sure it was good and sealed and everything. Than went into the house and turned on all of the water faucets in the house. The sinks and shower, basically, to get them refilled with water.
All in all, it took longer to drive to the hardware store, all of about a mile in each direction, and back, then it took to replace the old faucet with the new one.
I figure the faucet that was leaking was probably an original one, and the house is a bit over 50 years old, so guess it had a good life. One of these days I might get around to replacing the other water faucet that is attached to the outside of the house, but so far it is looking good and not leaking. Preventive maintenance, or just a matter of not replacing what does not seem to need to be replaced. Hmm, not sure.